Are You Ready for the Super Bowl of Farming?
- By: Paul Neiffer
- February 7th, 2011
- 1 Comment
After watching the Super Bowl last night (and I must admit I was rooting for the Packers), I reflected on how our farmers may want to check their operations and management to see if they would be ready to play in the Super Bowl of Farming.
As a manager of your farm operation are you:
- Using accrual accounting to determine your true net farm income for each year
- Taking advantage of precision farming to minimize your input costs and maximize your revenues
- Using a marketing plan each year for each crop
- Maximizing your equipment utilization to reduce your overall equipment cost per acre
- Providing appropriate incentives for your employees
- Taking advantage of a Web Site to provide information to your landlords, employees and other interested parties
- Being proactive with you banker by providing information before they ask and keeping them updated
- Obtaining education each year on how to improve each of the above items.
How is your scorecard on each of these. Could you play in the Super Bowl of Farming?
Paul Neiffer is a certified public accountant and business advisor specializing in income taxation, accounting services, and succession planning for farmers and agribusiness processors. Paul is a partner with CliftonLarsonAllen in Yakima, Washington, as well as a regular speaker at national conferences and contributor at agweb.com. Raised on a farm in central Washington, he has been immersed in the ag industry his entire life, including the last 30 years professionally. In fact, Paul drives combine each summer for his cousins and that is what he considers a vacation. Leave a comment for Paul. If you would like to leave a comment for Paul, follow the link above, however, please make sure to include your email address so that he can reply to your comment (your email address will not automatically show up).
Connect with CLA
Grow your organization by cultivating solid business practices. CliftonLarsonAllen helps clients in all areas of the agriculture industry produce and grow, from farm to table. Learn more about our approach and experience serving agribusiness.
- Ag Policy (288)
- Commodity Marketing (130)
- Demographics (222)
- Equipment (14)
- Farm Branding (29)
- Farm Industry Trends (832)
- Farm Leadership (602)
- Farm Operations (453)
- Farm Taxes (558)
- Farm Trends (70)
- General Stuff (113)
- Land (36)
- Legacy Planning (54)
- Profit Center (81)
- Q & A: Ask Paul (5)
- Retirement (16)
- Uncategorized (21)
View upcoming speaking engagements and other networking events for Paul Neiffer and CliftonLarsonAllen’s agribusiness team.