← FarmCPA Home

Defer the Crop Insurance Payment – MAYBE!

By: | Trackback URL | No Comments

October 13th, 2009

rape-and-cottonwoodSeveral of my farm clients have called me and asked whether receiving a crop insurance payment this year is taxable in 2009 or 2010.  I commonly tell them the answer is yes.  It may be taxable in 2009 or 2010 depending on what type of crop insurance it is and other matters.

In general, if you receive any crop insurance, the proceeds are taxable in the year that you receive them.  However, you can postpone reporting the proceeds to the following year if you meet all of the following conditions:

a.  You use the cash method of accounting for your farm.

b.  You receive the crop insurance proceeds in the same year the crops are damaged.

c.  You can show that under normal business practice you would have included income from the damaged crops in any tax year for the year the damaged occurred.

In brief, if you are a cash basis farmer and you usually sell all or most of your crops in the year after harvest, you should be able to defer the crop insurance proceeds into the next year.  However, if your history is to sell the crops at harvest time or by the end of the year of harvest, then you will not be able to defer the proceeds. 

In order to defer the proceeds, you must actually incur destruction of or damage to the crops.  Agreements with insurance companies that provide for payments based upon a minimum revenue per acre without regards to actual crop losses do not qualify for the deferral.

Some farmers received payments under the Crop Revenue Coverage (CRC) purchased from federal Crop Insurance Corporation.  These payments are based upon price as well as quantity and quality of the crop.  Only the payment for destruction or damage (yield loss) is eligible for deferral.  A farmer receiving these payments would need to calculate the portion related to the crop damage and this would be eligible for deferral.  The remaining part of the payment would need to be reported in the year of receipt.

The University of Minnesota has a very good article regarding how to calculate this and other matters related to the taxation of crop insurance proceeds.  Their article is located here.

Paul Neiffer

Paul Neiffer is a certified public accountant and business advisor specializing in income taxation, accounting services, and succession planning for farmers and agribusiness processors. Paul is a partner with CliftonLarsonAllen in Yakima, Washington, as well as a regular speaker at national conferences and contributor at agweb.com. Raised on a farm in central Washington, he has been immersed in the ag industry his entire life, including the last 30 years professionally. In fact, Paul drives combine each summer for his cousins and that is what he considers a vacation. Leave a comment for Paul. If you would like to leave a comment for Paul, follow the link above, however, please make sure to include your email address so that he can reply to your comment (your email address will not automatically show up).

More Posts - Website

Follow Me:

← FarmCPA Home

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Subscribe to this blog by:

Previous Posts


View upcoming speaking engagements and other networking events for Paul Neiffer and CliftonLarsonAllen’s agribusiness team.

See All

  • Twitter Feed

    Drove over 2,000 miles in last 12 days. Saw a lot of good looking corn. Beans not so much 2 days ago

    When you drive through Minnesota, South Dakota and Iowa this time of year you see a lot of corn and beans and not much else 2 weeks ago

    Possible another reason for high US corn yield estimates is acres switched to beans were lower yield corn acres 2 weeks ago

    Don't understand why nobody claims the USDA manipulates the data when the report is bullish 2 weeks ago

    USDA pegged lower corn production but if yields trends continue this will quickly change to production increase. 2 weeks ago

    The soybean YO-YO is well underway 2 weeks ago

    If prices stay where they are at I estimate some farmers will $100 ARC payments next October. Could be difference between profit & loss 2 weeks ago

    I think the corn and bean markets are starting to feel like Brazil in the World Cup on Tuesday 2 weeks ago

    Do the Highs in Live Cattle equal the Lows in Corn and Beans 2 weeks ago

    The joys of summer travel by air. Thunderstorms at MSP means I miss flight home. At least I get in at 10:30 Friday 1 month ago